Tried out a few new recipes this week with some really good results. Tuesday night I made these Jamaican Jerk Meatballs. I followed the recipe on the website pretty much exactly, except I didn’t have any habanero peppers so I used a small green thai chili instead. I have to say, these were awesome. A hit with the boyfriend as well, who enjoys anything spicy. I ate them with some simple green beans with butter, salt, pepper and garlic powder. The boyfriend had a package of those Sidekick noodles with them. I stayed away from those. Sadly, there were no leftover meatballs, but that recipe is a keeper for sure.
Today I decided to experiment with a few recipes. First of all, I have been wanting to make homemade mayo for a while. I’ve tried it a couple time in the past without much luck. We were out of mayo today, so I decided to make this recipe, also in the Well Fed cookbook. If you don’t have that cookbook, you should get it right now. It’s paleo, but even if you’re not eating paleo, the recipes are completely delicious. Anyway, the mayo came together nicely. I should emphasize that I followed the instructions exactly — made sure the egg and lemon juice were at room temperature, and drizzled the oil in as slowly as I possibly could. I used a food processor, and it is messy — mayo mix will come flying up out of the open spot in the food processor. This can be solved by placing your hand over most of the opening while drizzling in the oil (I found this out when I made a second batch). I liked the mayo, however it seemed like maybe it was a bit too lemony for me. So I decided to make a second batch. In that batch, I substituted an equivalent amount of white wine vinegar for the lemon juice, added half a teaspoon of granulated garlic and used about half a tablespoon of prepared Dijon mustard rather than the mustard powder. This batch came out lovely as well. I think I like the taste of it slightly better. But I have to say as the first batch cooled in the fridge, it seemed to lose some of the lemony taste I didn’t like initially.
We were having salmon for dinner tonight (basically just topped it with olive oil and a generous amount of seafood spice and baked it in the oven), so I was inspired to make an avocado mayo to go with it. Because I have a lot of avocados in my fridge. So I mashed up a small avocado, added probably 2 to 3 heaping tablespoons of my freshly made mayo (the first batch), about half a teaspoon of salt, pepper and granulated garlic and a few dashes of hot sauce. I was quite happy with it.
Then to go with the salmon I decided to make potatoes. These were really, really, really good. I chopped up a medium red onion and 4 cloves of garlic. My garlic cloves were really big. You can adjust accordingly. I peeled and diced 4 russet potatoes. About a half inch dice I’d say. Then I melted about a quarter cup of butter in my frying pan, sauteed the onion and garlic for a bit, and then added the potatoes. I then added some seasoned salt — basically just sprinkled it on until it covered the top of the potatoes. Then let that sit on fairly high heat for a while, to let the potatoes crisp up. Just watch that the butter doesn’t burn. Shake them up a little bit every now and then. I think it took about 10 minutes for it to cook. The onions got to an awesome crispy/chewy texture. I could have eaten twice as much of these potatoes. I’m thinking bacon would be an awesome addition here.
Then I decided to make some roasted chickpeas. I followed the basic technique outlined here. Essentially, took a can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed them, and then dried them with a paper towel. When you dry them, the skins want to come off. But not all the way off. So I took all the skins off. One chickpea at a time. With chickpea skins sticking to my fingers. Because the skins were bugging me. Now, apparently it’s not necessary to take the skins off, and if I ever do this again I will not bother because that is one time consuming, annoying task. Then I baked the chickpeas at 400F for 15 minutes. Then added about a tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkled them with salt, pepper, granulated garlic, and a really light sprinkling of cayenne pepper. Cooked them for another 15 minutes, at which point they were still not crunchy, so I put them back in for another 10. They were crunchy after 10 minutes. In fact, 5 minutes might have been enough, since some of them were kind of dark. After that, I did the trick she mentioned in her post about letting them sit in the oven with the oven door cracked open for a while. They taste pretty good. The jury is still out on whether I’ll make these again. Kind of a lot of work for a small amount of chickpeas.
And now I’m off to make Moroccan Meatballs (also from Well Fed) to bring to my Scrap & Yap with the girls day tomorrow.